Sunday, May 22, 2016

Tulips for May 2016 CCC + One + A Challenge

Hello!  Well, here I am at last. Wow, May is heading to the end and I haven't posted anything. Shame on me. A busy month, though, with birthdays, concerts by two of the grand kids, plus needing to watch my oldest grand daughter who has taken up playing lacrosse. She is good, too. Bragging rights taken here.

Anyway, I finished and sent this card off to New Zealand as the May card for the S.O.S. Card Chain Challenge (CCC). One of challenge suggestion was friendship and the colors were pistachio, olive and peach.  Another idea was to use watercolors. My card is a combination of a lot of techniques, but I forgot to use watercolor paper for the flower. Oops.



For the focal point, I stamped the tulip with VersaMark, then heat embossed with white embossing power. This Hero Arts stamp called Tulips is from 1995. Anyone also like to use old and neglected stamps? Darnell would be proud! Getting out my Staedtler Watercolour Pencils I got to work. Not being sure exactly what the color peach looks like, I used several pink and orange pencils to color the flower. These pencils do not have names on them, but they blended nicely together when topped off with my water brush. Next I put on clear Wink of Stella for some shine. Turning my attention to a background, I inked up a My Favorite Things stamp called Etched Flower with Stampin' Up! Old Olive. A wonderful background stamp, I think. For the sentiment I just used a tiny stamp from the SU set Teeny Tiny Wishes on a punched oval. For some emphasis, I lightly sponged around the oval with the retired ink Apricot Appeal. The frame around the tulip is also sponged. To finish up the card, I mounted everything on a card base of Pistachio Pudding by SU and hand wrote a note inside.

It just occurred to me that it is Fall in New Zealand. Oh well; hope Dawn does not mind! Lovely Spring days here in MN right now with lots of things blooming. My favorite season.

The + One:

Sadly, in April, I needed a sympathy card for a guy friend, so had made and not posted this simple card. I thought the sailing ship and sentiment were fittingly serene. I used an unnamed "with sympathy" stamp inside and wrote a note. The background  paper is from a retired DSP set from SU as is the ship and sentiment. The ink is Chocolate Chip. The stamp set is called Schooner, from 1998. It's one of my never-get-rid-of sets! Guess I have been into old things, lately. That is, gently used things! LOL

T

That is it for now. Thanks ever so much for stopping by. Till next time, happy blog reading.

Edited to add my Tulips for May card to this new to me challenge. I think the card fits perfectly. Hope the Retro Rubber Challenge #39 group does too.

RRCB 39





11 comments:

  1. 2 lovely cards, Jeanne! I know Dawn loves the beautifully crafted tulip card--terrific background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet cards Jeanne. Your sympathy card is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes your card works perfectly for our challenge. Using your Retro Rubber should always be fun! Thanks for including Retro Rubber Challenge in your stamping fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the background stamp of the large ferns...it almost looks 3D to me. The flower is peach:) and it is perfect to be there and still show the background...well laid out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice tulips, perfect for our challenge. Thanks for playing along with Retro Rubber.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! Tulips have always been my favorite flower and you colored them wonderfully!! Thank you for playing along with Retro Rubber. Glad you found us and hope to see you back in the gallery soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tulips are one of the first flowers that start peeking out of the frozen ground in the Spring and I love them. Your card is beautiful, love the background and the sweet sentiment.
    Thank you for playing with us at Retro Rubber, hope to see you back in the gallery soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet card that fits perfectly with our challenge. Now that you have found Retro Rubber, we hope you will play along with us often!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So soft, elegant and pretty! Thanks so much for doing the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love a peach and green color combo, and even better with tulips! Pretty green leafy background, too. I sure do use my old stamps a lot, and that's what the Retro Rubber Challenge is all about. I'm so glad you played along. Also, your masculine sympathy card is perfect. I've just used the last of mine and need to make more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two lovely cards. I do like that older Hero arts stamp. It is sometimes fun to go through all your stamps just to look at them and see which one inspires you.

    ReplyDelete