Friday, March 4, 2016

NBUS #6 Watercolor and Stamping


Hello Friends~
Today I am submitting my card for Darnell's NBUS # 6 challenge to use our new and unused and unloved crafting supplies.

               
My NBUS is the Ken Oliver Craft Color Burst Watercolor Powder.  My  Goodness! What a mess and what fun to use! Sure took a lot of practice and wasted used up paper before I was able to feel good enough about it to try and make a card to post! BTW, Karen Dunbrook has a great tutorial on Splitcoaststampers that served as much needed inspiration to use this powder. She calls it "painting your stamps" which is what I did. Thanks Karen D!

The two colors I chose to use are called Violet and Ultramarine Blue from the Brights Assortment set that I bought in February at a LSS. Also NBUS is the stamp set I bought from Rubbernecker Stamps, called Flower Group #922. I watched a video from them on YouTube many, many times trying to get the hang of it. Here's a link for you: Rubbernecker. The demonstrator, (I could not find out his name), used a different stamp and slightly different colors. Great directions, though. I used Jet Black Stazon  as he did for the stem and the outline in this two-step process. After many false tries on plain paper, then on watercolor paper, I ended up stamping the outline first, then carefully placed the water colored and spritzed stamp on top. To help activate the Color Burst, I used a water brush with the spritzing. My cardstock is all Bazzill - the white, raven, and classic purple. I cut out the focal point rectangle with a Lil'Inker Designs die, which is now a staple in my crafting room. When I was mounting the flower layer, my thoughts were that the water colors were boringly dull, so I colored it all with Wink of Stella. I guess I am not used to water colors, yet. I also used the WOS on my sentiment, a die from Papertrey Ink. The light lilac polka dot ribbon is by Sheer Creations. I have not used ribbon in ages. Phew, done at last!

I've many other colors of the Color Burst left to try, so I am hooked. I would love to hear about any of your experiences with this fun product.

Bye for now! I hope you come back and visit me soon.


5 comments:

  1. Very pretty card, Jeanne~love your purple flower, polka dot ribbon bow and that glittery 'congrats'

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great card! Love the bright purple/blues!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the gorgeous effects you've achieved with the Color Burst, and the touch of glitter is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Jeanne! I'm so glad you kept at it because this card is stunning! I love, love the colors you used and think it was a great idea to wink them for some extra pizzazziness! Thank you so much for playing in my NBUS Challenge #6!! Enjoy your day!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous card Jeannie. You chose such wonderfully blending colors for the blooms. I love those stitched dies to make a card front, currently I am crushing on an older scalloped one. It makes everything look so nice and neat doesn't it. Looking forward to more of your colorburst art.

    ReplyDelete